Monday 8 June 2015

My Number is 1209

I came across the following prose in a student sketchbook as I was moderating their Art coursework. I thought it was beautiful.


'When I was born I was given a number for my weight, time of birth, parents income, how long I was expected to live, how much I was going to make. My life was very numerical. Today I am 16 years old. Another number. I go to school and my candidate number is 1209. I have an IQ of something like 120. My report card says I am an average 2/5 pupil. I am clearly identified by numerical data. In a year I will be going to university. The only way I can go is to score UMS and UCAS points because the higher these numbers the more 'desirable' I become. 

However, again I am 16 and there are numbers I want to lower rather than raise. My weight. My shoe size. My waist. The amount of wrinkles I may have, to look younger. As you can get from this my life is about juggling numbers. My relationship with numbers may get stronger. In 10 years time I will have a job. I will have a bank number and a National Insurance number. In 10 years I will no longer have a name. I will be 10-468-9. They may have barcodes for us. Dehumanise us. Strip us away from who we are. For now, I am [Name]. 

You don't have to identify me by numbers. You can still use words. Tall. Funny. Likeable. Creative. Things that make me less objectified because for now I refuse to use my new name. 1209.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment